I know this can be a controversial topic and I'll admit when I first read about it I though come on, why would you want/need to breast feed an adopted baby.
So, over the past few months the thought has been in my mind and I have kept thinking about it.
I personally am not keen on the idea of b.feeding in general, I know it is wonderful for a baby, but I just don't feel it is for me.
While ttc I had thought about b.feeding and had decided I "might" try it, but I would have been more willing to pump. I am big on bottles and both parents feeding baby and by pumping baby would still be getting the benefits of BM.
Well, I am now thinking I'd like to try and induce lactation so I can pump BM for our future adopted baby. I know this sounds strange to some, so let me explain...
I feel nutritionally it would be a great benefit for baby and also a selfish reason for me would be the fact that I feel I have no hand in creating our baby. I feel like that part of me was taken away, but maybe, just maybe I can create the milk baby would need. That thought makes me feel really good...I could fill baby with my milk, part of me, nutrition to grow from me...I may not have been able to create our little baby, but I can try and create milk to help he/she be who they will be all by using/taking a small, but very beneficial part of me.
I would be interested in exclusively pumping and storing BM and no problem with also using formula too. I am not going to go BM crazy and only want baby to nurse or only take BM.
I just want to see if maybe I can be successful in producing something so important for a little one. And if I am successful in my trial I hope to be able to pump and store many precious ounces for our future baby.
I have been researching this subject and finding both positive and negative. Not too much info out there, but I know it can be done. It takes a lot of determination and darn it, I got that.
Basically what I am finding is that you need a good strong (preferably hospital grade breast pump)and you need to try and pump multiple times per day both sides at the same time. There are herbs that help milk production too.
I am a bit nervous, esp. with no baby in sight yet, but they say start months in advance to build up a supply.
EX: A women pumped every 4 hrs, took Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (multiple tablets per day) and started producing small amounts of milk at the end of 2 wks. and 2 ounces to store after 2 months).
I have also read that it may bother the birth mom to know you want to do this, although honestly I can't see why. It is in the best interest for the child and you will be doing everything else for and deciding on everything else you want to do for them for the rest of their life. I would think it shows love, determination, hope and care for the baby.
I want to try it! I want to see if my body can and will do it!
I figure I have the time during the day to dedicate to it and like I said, I am determined to do it.
I have been researching pumps and narrowed it down to a few I am interested in, granted they are not hospital grade, but they are double and well recommended.
I am watching a few on Ebay and want to look further into the herbs too.
I also feel like doing this makes me feel proactive in a process that I really have no control over at all. I can make the best of the months that we wait and see if my body can do something right and produce something so beneficial for a small growing baby. I just feel like it would be an amazing feeling to know that I can supply such nourishment and again, a little part of me to our future baby.
So, those are my thoughts I wanted to share :o)
Update: Ocotber 17, 2008
I have decided against this for now. The more I read the more I see that this is a big deal breaker (sadly) for many Bmoms.
I also decided (at least for now) that I do not want the constant pumping (every few hours) to be a constant reminder of how I long for our little one. I have run my life by testing my BS every few hours and cutting back to testing 3 -5 times a day (per my DR)instead of 10+ while ttc and it feels good to get my life back, away from watching the hours on the clock. Maybe when our baby is in sight I may feel differently. I would still love to be able to feed a part of me to our baby, but for now I will put this thought out of my mind and maybe revisit it another time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment